General Manager, Old Parsonage Hotel
Oxford’s 17th-century Old Parsonage Hotel combines original charm and character with all the luxury, amenities and technology available to an independently owned 5-star hotel. Best known by locals and visitors alike for its eclectic country house allure, chic modern interiors and striking 20th-century portraits, the Old Parsonage is a luxury home-from-home with impeccable hospitality.
A striking balance of old and new, each of the 35 individually designed bedrooms and suites features luxurious handmade beds, rich natural fabrics, unique Oxford sketches and marble bathrooms. Guests receive exclusive access to the library, walled garden, in-room spa treatments and personalised amenities. Famous for its intimate, bohemian, clubby atmosphere, the Parsonage Grill offers afternoon teas and quintessentially British dishes for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
We pride ourselves on being an independent, innovative family company. We love personalities and believe in quality food, drink and equipment to offer the best experience to guests and collectives. We offer support, training, and development opportunities to help your career flourish. We believe that investment in each and every one of our employees is key to the success of our business and the happiness of our customers. As a member of the team, we are looking for an exceptional candidate who shares these values.
About the Role
This exciting, newly created role, will oversee and lead all operational aspects of the Old Parsonage Hotel, Parsonage Grill and 36 St Giles to deliver an exceptional, five-star experience for our guests through quality of service and people. As General Manager, you will play a pivotal role in shaping the success of the Old Parsonage; ensuring we achieve and maintain the highest possible standards of excellence.
Reporting to the Director of Operations, you will be responsible for accommodation, food and beverage, reception, all events, and private dining. This is a leadership role that requires exceptional people management skills, first-class attention to detail and ongoing initiative.
General Manager Responsibilities
People Management and Communication
- Be a natural, inspirational leader; you will foster a positive work environment that promotes teamwork and excellence on all levels, ensuring cohesive management and successful performance within our Reception, Housekeeping, Restaurant, Kitchen and Maintenance teams
- Oversee all initiatives relating to recruitment, retention, appraisals, training and succession planning; identifying needs and areas for improvement
- Work closely with your teams to encourage innovation and ideas from managers and team members across the board
- Be warm and approachable, encouraging open communication and regular feedback amongst your teams, keeping your finger on the pulse of every aspect of the business and its people
Hotel and Restaurant Operations
- Oversee and work alongside the Heads of Department to ensure the smooth running of day-to-day operations; Ensuring each department delivers a consistently high standard of guest service
- Promote a culture of excellence in guest care, through a warm welcome with a desire to exceed expectations.
- Your standards are always exemplary, both internally and externally
- Regularly liaise with all departments to ensure the upkeep of five-star standards across all hotel and restaurant areas and facilities
- Work alongside the Director of Operations and Head of Revenue and Sales to achieve the best possible revenues for the hotel and restaurants throughout the year
- Ensure compliance with all relevant laws, legislation, regulations, and safety standards
- Achieve business objectives and maximise the profitability of all outlets. Maintain effective cost controls in all areas
- Be responsible for the control of the financial operation of the business; achieving budgeted profits through a full understanding of the profit and loss accounts, F&B margins and the monitoring of all departmental budgets, including wage costs
- Uphold strong competency in the field of revenue management, striving to achieve the highest REVPAR possible
- Ensure that budgeted food and beverage costs are consistently achieved and stock takes are carried out in a professional and timely fashion, ensuring the procurement system is used effectively
The ideal candidate will demonstrate the following skills and experience
- Proven leadership experience (ideally 3-5 years) within a similar, 5-star, luxury hospitality business is essential
- Exceptional people management skills, with experience in overseeing a large, multi-departmental team
- Experience in managing recruitment and retention initiatives, appraisals, training initiatives and succession planning
- Strong financial acumen and experience with managing budgets
- Excellent leadership and coaching skills
- Resilient, flexible, and hard-working, with a ‘roll your sleeves up’ approach
- Lead by example, live by our values and be an ambassador for the company and our culture
- Knowledge of online HRIS systems, Opera and e-learning platforms is beneficial
- Excellent command of written and spoken English
- Knowledge of the Oxford hospitality market is a plus
General Manager Package and Benefits
We offer a flexible shift pattern, working 5 days out of 7 per week, on a Monday-Sunday rota. You will be offered a competitive salary of up to £65,000 per annum depending on experience including non-contractual service charge (tronc).
- Meals on duty
- 50% discount on food within our restaurants
- Complimentary ‘Manager’s meal’ within one of our restaurants every six months
- Complimentary ‘Manager’s stay’ in our hotels every year
- Up to £700 recruitment incentive
- Membership to our Employee Assistance Program with Hospitality Action
- Pension scheme
- Enhanced Maternity or Paternity package
- Uniform Allowance
- 28 days holiday inclusive of bank holidays per annum
- Paid day off on your birthday
- Team awards and prizes
- Hospitality Rewards: offering discounted gym membership, high-street and online shopping discounts, discounted vouchers, and a cashback card
If you are a dynamic and experienced hospitality professional looking to take on a senior leadership role in a unique property in Oxford, we would love to hear from you. Please submit your CV and a cover letter, detailing your qualifications and why you are the perfect fit for this role.
Interviews will take place in Oxford and as part of the recruitment process. Please apply to: email@example.com
Eligibility to work within the UK must be proven and two references should be available on request.