Sous Chef, Gees
Gees Restaurant is a bustling, independently-owned, restaurant, bar, and terrace set within a landmark Victorian conservatory on Oxford’s Banbury Road.
Open every day of the year for brunch, lunch and dinner, Gees serves a distinctly Mediterranean-inspired menu using the best seasonal ingredients, simply prepared and expertly cooked.
With an ambitious expansion and refurbishment project set for completion in Spring 2022, Gees will more than double in capacity with the addition of ‘Gees Gallery’, an adjacent private dining space for up to 50 guests, and ‘Secret Garden’; a covered and heated private terrace for up to 60 diners.
Upon its reopening in May 2022, Gees will accommodate 200 guests in total across all its dining spaces.
The Oxford Collection is a small independently owned group of hotels and restaurants in central Oxford, comprising Gees Restaurant & Bar, the Old Parsonage Hotel, Parsonage Grill, the Old Bank Hotel & Quod Restaurant and Bar.
We are looking for an experienced Sous Chef to join our kitchen run by Matthew Smith, Head Chef.
The ideal candidate will:
- Work alongside the Head Chef
- Support the Head Chef in overseeing all aspects of daily of the kitchen
- Ensure consistency in delivering the Restaurant’s high standards
- Ensure that the kitchen operates in an efficient and timely manner
- The ability to lead, inspire and motivate people
- Have an excellent interpersonal communication, coaching and teamwork
- Have a high level written English, strong IT literacy
- Have previous management experience within a similar role is essential
- Have a knowledge of current Health & Safety, Fire Safety, Food Hygiene and Allergens legislation.
We offer a sensible shift pattern, across a 45-hours working week (Monday to Sunday rota with two days off) with a salary up to £35,000 per annum, depending on experience.
In return we offer:
- Meals on duty
- 50% discount on food within our restaurants
- Complimentary ‘Manager’s meal’ within one of our restaurants every six months
- £500 recruitment incentive
- Membership to our Employee Assistance Programme with Hospitality Action
- Pension scheme
- 28 days holiday inclusive of bank holidays per annum
- Paid day off on your birthday
- Team awards and prizes
Eligibility to work within the UK must be proven and two references should be available on request.