Recipe: Herring SaladMar 19, 2021
A delicious recipe of ‘Herring fillets, apple & potato salad‘
from Allan McLaughlin, Parsonage Grill’s Head Chef
INGREDIENTS (serves two):
For your dressing;
– Thyme leaves x 1 tsp
– Tarragon leaves x 1 tsp
– Maldon sea salt
– Cracked black pepper
– Juice of 1 lemon
– Olive oil 80ml
For the apple salad;
– Watercress x 1 bunch
– Tarragon x 12 sprigs, picked
– Granny smith apples x 2, sliced into thin matchstick pieces and tossed in a little lemon juice
For the potato salad;
– Pink fir potatoes 300g, washed and scrubbed
– Maldon sea salt x 1 tbsp
– Tarragon x 8 sprigs
– Garlic cloves x 4, halved
– Spring onions x 2, finely sliced
– Chives x 1 tbsp, chopped
– Tarragon x 1 tbsp, chopped
For the herring fillets;
– Herring x 4 (200gr approx.), filleted
– Unsalted butter 30g
1. For your dressing, mix the herbs, salt and pepper, half the lemon juice and half the oil together in a bowl.
2. For the potato salad, put the potatoes, salt, tarragon and garlic into a pan with 1.5 litres of cold water. Place on the stove, bring to a simmer then cook for 20 minutes until tender.
3. Take the potatoes off the heat and, after allowing them to cool in the cooking liquid, drain then slice into ½cm slices.
4. Mix the sliced potatoes with the spring onions, herbs, salt and pepper and add just enough dressing to bind them.
5. Brush some of the dressing over the herring and sautee the fillets in a non-stick pan for 2 to 3 minutes on the skin side before adding the butter, turning the fillets over, switching off the heat, and finishing with a squeeze of lemon juice.
6. Prepare the apple salad by tossing the watercress and tarragon with the apple together in a bowl along with a little dressing.
7. Serve the potato salad with the herring and apple salad alongside with a little more dressing.
Post your finished dish online and tag @ParsonageGrill as we’d love to see it…