Recipe: Steamed ColeyMar 19, 2021
How to prepare ‘Steamed Coley with wild garlic, fennel & lemon butter sauce‘
a recipe from Rohan Kashid, Quod Restaurant’s Head Chef
INGREDIENTS (serves two):
– 80g fillets of coley x 4
– Wild garlic leaves x 16
For the salad;
– Fennel bulb x 1 (don’t throw away the stalks!)
– Radishes x 6, sliced thinly
– Tomato concasse x 2 tbsp
– Samphire 80g
– Dressing of olive oil 90ml, lemon juice 30ml, salt, pepper and sugar (to taste)
For the lemon butter sauce;
– Banana shallots x 2, peeled and sliced
– Garlic clove x 1, finely chopped
– Thyme sprigs x4
– Lemon ½, thinly sliced
– White wine 200ml
– Whole black peppercorn x 10
– Double cream 100g
– Unsalted butter 400g, diced
1. Start your steamer heating, or use a steamer basket over a pan of simmering water.
2. Wilt the wild garlic leaves for 5 seconds in boiling water, cool them down in iced water, then drain them.
3. Remove the fennel stalks and keep to one side then slice the fennel bulb very thinly, preferably on a mandoline, and immerse in iced water.
4. Lay 4 of the garlic leaves out on a chopping board overlapping the edges, season with salt and cracked black pepper, then place a piece of coley on top, wrapping the leaves around the fish portion. Do exactly the same with the remaining portions of coley, then set aside.
5. In a saucepan, put the shallots, garlic, thyme, white wine, peppercorns, fennel stalks and lemon slices. Place over a medium heat and allow to simmer until the wine has reduced down to almost nothing. Discard the lemon slices then add the double cream and simmer for a further 5 mins. Now add the butter piece by piece, whisking continuously but do not allow to boil. Once all the butter is incorporated, strain the sauce, season with salt and cracked black pepper, then add the chervil. Keep your sauce warm until you’re ready to serve.
6. Drain your sliced fennel and combine it with the radishes, tomato concasse, samphire and dressing to create your side salad.
7. Place the fish parcels into the steamer, put the lid on and steam for 7 minutes.
8. On a warm plate, spoon the sauce, place the fish 2 pieces each, serve with your salad on the side.
We’re looking forward to seeing dishes such as this on Quod’s daily changing specials board and hope you enjoy preparing it at home…
Post your finished dish online and tag @QuodRestaurant as we’d love to see it!