Recipe: Whole GurnardMar 19, 2021
How to cook ‘Whole gurnard, new potatoes, fennel, wild garlic & salsa verdi‘
a recipe from Russell Heeley, Gee’s Restaurant’s Head Chef
INGREDIENTS (serves one):
For the gurnard;
– Whole gurnard x 1, gutted
– Fennel bulb x 1
– New potatoes x 3
– Lemon x 1
– Wild garlic x ½ bunch
– Rosemary x 1 sprig
– Star anise x 1
– Fennel seeds
– Garlic x 2 cloves
– Juniper berries
– Orange x ½
– Salt and pepper
For the salsa verde;
– Curly parsley x ½ bunch
– Flat parsley x ½ bunch
– Fresh mint x ½ bunch
– Fresh dill x ¼ bunch
– Pinch of tarragon
– Anchovies x ½ small tin
– Garlic x 6 cloves, chopped
– Fine capers x small hand full
– Extra virgin olive oil
– Cracked black pepper
1. For the salsa verde, roughly chop all ingredients with a knife. Add olive oil to the required consistency, then season with black pepper to taste.
2. Par-boil new potatoes in salted water until just tender then cut into halves.
3. Cut half of the fennel bulb into wedges and poach in salted water along with the cloves, star anise, a pinch of fennel seeds, a few juniper berries, garlic cloves and the half of orange. Once tender, remove your fennel from the water.
4. Shave or finely slice the other half of the fennel bulb.
5. Stuff the gurnard with a wedge of lemon, the shaved fennel and rosemary sprigs, season the Gurnard with salt and pepper inside and out
6. Place the poached fennel and new potatoes in a roasting tray with the gurnard sat on top. Drizzle with olive oil and roast in the oven at 180°C for around 20-30 minutes (this will depend on your oven).
7. Once cooked, remove the gurnard from the tray, toss the washed wild garlic together with the fennel and potatoes, and season to taste.
8. Serve with gurnard along with the wild garlic, fennel and potatoes. Dress the dish with your salsa verdi and a wedge of lemon, and enjoy!
Post your finished dish online and tag @GeesRestaurant as we’d love to see it…